Thursday, May 26, 2016

Platinum President Review

Here is the Platinum President in black with rhodium trim (purchased on Massdrop.com for $189, which was a good price. This model sells at penchalet.com for $260). I generally favor a "European medium" nib, so I bought this one with a bold nib thinking that this would approximate my preferred nib size.

Platinum is a pen brand that has flown under the radar for me, and when it's crossed my attention I've had the impression (whether fairly or not) that they are the weakest of Japanese "Big Three". The only Platinum pen I'd ever used was a Preppy that came free with a bottle of Noodler's ink, which actually wrote well enough for a dirt-cheap pen. It was fun to see and try Platinum's flagship pen, and overall, I'm favorably impressed with it. My initial impression is that this is an art deco inspired MB 146-lite.

The packaging is unremarkable. A simple outer package, a brown and fuzzy inner box. The contents include an instruction sheet and warranty card (written mostly in Japanese), a cartridge of black ink, and a converter. There was no cartridge converter included.

Outer box

Funky inner box

Box contents

Box contents II

Instructions

Instructions II

Warranty card

Included cartridge

Tag

Art deco clip

Clip profile
I really do like the step detail on this pen clip.


Band "President"

Band "Japan"

Band "Platinum"


Nib 18K Bold

Nib/feed profile

Feed


Nib and Section

Platinum President (top) Montblanc 146 (bottom)

As you can see, the President and the Montblanc 146 are very similar. I don't know who originally designed this iconic pen style, but I would consider the President as a Montblanc Meisterstück inspired design. While they do look very similar, there are a number of differences. The President is a C/C filler (not piston), has more rounded ends, and lacks the iconic white peak. There is also a different feel to the pen. The President simply feels less substantial that the 146. I don't know enough about manufacturing or "precious resin" grades to know why. There is a noticeable difference between the pens when screwing on the caps. While the MB screws on smoothly and assuredly, the President can feel like the threads are in danger of being stripped if the cap is not centered exactly over the pen.




Taken apart

Taken apart II

Writing sample
How does it write? Very well. As can be seen in the writing sample, the President bold nib is slightly wider than the medium-nibbed Montblanc. I had seen reviews stating that Platinum pens tended towards "feedback" on the page, and was afraid that may be code for a poorly polished, rough feeling nib. On the contrary, this pen writes quite smoothly, reliably, and with a nice, wet line. Additionally, I really like the size, weight, and balance of this pen. A winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment

The lost pens

Ugh. Losing pens stinks. But to paraphrase the saying, " If you haven't lost a pen ...then you probably haven't been col...